Near infrared tungsten lamp saunas have a number of advantages over traditional and far-infrared saunas.
EMF stands for Electromagnetic Field, one of the four fundamental forces of our universe. All electrically powered devices emit some electromagnetic radiation. Our homes contain wires carrying 120V (US) current to supply our electrical appliances and even these wires emit some EMF radiation. Near infrared lamp saunas only have wiring on the lamp panel and the lamps themselves emit virtually NO dangerous EMF. In contrast far infrared emitters, emitting frequencies similar to cell phones in the 4-15 micron range maybe quite harmful. The safe limit for sauna EMF dose has been 3 milliGauss (mG). Some agencies are recommending a safe limit of 1 mG. Many far infrared emitters far exceed this level.
Deep Tissue Penetration
Near infrared light has been shown to penetrate deeper into tissue. NASA has confirmed NIR light tissue penetration up to 9 inches (23 cm).1 In contrast far infrared light only penetrates about 1.5 inches into the body. Far infrared emitters are scattered around the sauna spreading out the heat and infrared light. The modern lower EMF carbon far infrared emitters are notorious for providing diffuse heat rather than the more penetrating focused near infrared lamps. This is a key factor that impacts all that sauna therapy hopes to achieve.
Red near infrared lamps emit mostly orange, and yellow light. Colored light therapy (chromotherapy) is a time honored modality. The orange, and yellow light have been linked to moving energy downwards to the most needy chakras. Red Infra light has been found to stimulate the adrenals, testes, ovaries, and growth. Orange light stimulates the intestines, liver, pancreas, and assimilation. Yellow stimulates the spleen, stomach, and digestion. Healing and detoxification may be enhanced.2
Joint & Muscle Pain
Low level light therapy has been shown to reduce joint and muscle pain in animal studies.3 Penetrating near infrared light appears to address joint and muscle problems from multiple angles. 4 Hand-held near infrared devices used for pain relief are common in physical therapy and pain management offices. Far infrared does not provide this effect.
Rotating and moving closer to the near infrared lamp source allows focusing and concentrating the infrared energy. Deep internal organ are more easily reached for deep tissue healing and detoxification.
Lamp saunas radiate from one wall. Rotating the body shunts blood from one side to another markedly increasing the circulatory effects of sauna therapy.
Tissue & Cell Repair And Protection
infrared light has been shown to reduce lipid peroxidation and increase oxygen production preserving delicate cell structures.5Near infrared light shortens cluster chains promoting detoxification. The presence of cell receptors called chromophores within our bodies illustrate our need for near infrared light. Energy absorbed by these chromophores is used to facilitate ATP production, the basic biological energy storage unit. More cell and tissue energy allows more healing. No wonder that the sun feels good on our bodies. No far infrared receptors are found in our bodies.
Near infrared light promotes nitric oxide production in our cells. Nitric oxide is used by our bodies to regulate vaso-dilation and provide antioxidant protection. Many medications and supplements are widely used and prescribed that provide or increase nitric oxide to treat many problems. These include ED, circulatory diseases, high blood pressure and more. No similar effect exists for far infrared light.
Cost & Maintenance
Tungsten lamp saunas cost less to buy and operate than most far infrared and other conventional saunas, in many cases far less. Lamp saunas are very easy to maintain, usually just requiring a new bulb occasionally. No expensive computer parts or emitters. Each part is repairable and simple to fix or replace.
- Whelan H T, Buchmann E V, Dhokalia A, Kane MP,Whelan N T, Wong-Riley M, Eells J T, Gould L J, Hammamieh R, Das R, Jett M. Effect of NASA Light-Emitting Diode Irradiation on Molecular Changes for Wound Healing in Diabetic Mice . Journal of Clinical Laser Medicine Surgery. April 2003, 21(2): 67-74. doi:10.1089/104454703765035484.
- Azeemi S, Raza M. A Critical Analysis of Chromotherapy and Its Scientific Evolution . Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine. Vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 481-488, 2005. doi :10.1093/ecam/neh137.
- Hamblin M. Can osteoarthritis be treated with light? . Arthritis Research Therapy. 2013, 15:120 doi:10.1186/ar4354.
- Gale GD, Rothbart PJ, Li Y. Infrared therapy for chronic low back pain: a randomized, controlled trial . Pain Res Manag. 2006 Autumn;11(3):193-6.
- Y, Kawahira K and Matsumoto K. Effect of far infrared ray emitting products and stones on human leukocyte functions, lipid peroxidation, the growth of tumor on mice, drug-induced hepatitis rat, and clinical course and serum lipid peroxide levels of rheumatoid arthritis patients [in Japanese] . Japanese Journal of Inflammation. 1996; 16, 425-436.